Tuesday, October 4, 2011

One Year

A year ago today my world turned upside down.  October 4, 2010 is a day that I will never forget because it is the day that we lost our buddy, Oliver.  It was without a doubt one of the hardest decisions that I have ever been a part of.  It was a decision that took weeks to come to terms with, thousands of tears and a lot of heartbreak.  Oliver was as sharp as they come...still fiercely protective, alert and as loving as ever--but his body couldn't keep up.  His hips deceived him and towards the end he wasn't even able to get out of our family room.  The last night that Oliver was with us Matt and I both slept on the couches in our family room because we didn't want Oli to be alone.  Life is so funny with so many parallels because the last night we were home before Zoey was born we both slept on the couch, too...my contractions were getting intense and we wanted to be ready for anything.  Signs are everywhere...Oliver was clearly trying to tell us something.  Tears are running down my face as I write this--as I suspect they will every year on this date.  So much has changed in this last year but my love for Oliver is steady.  He is in my heart and will always be.  I talk to Zoey about Oliver all of the time...she might never get to meet him but she will know his story well.  I love you, Oliver buddy...I know you are running around up there, chewing bones and looking out for us every day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment