Thursday, September 8, 2011

A New Kind of Normal

Having a baby changes everything. From sleep schedules, outfit choices, trips out of the house, weekend plans to literally anything else you can imagine. Over and over again I still cannot believe just how unprepared people are for this tiny bundle to rock their world. My cousin was over a few weeks ago and upon seeing Zoey said, "I want a baby!". Yea, it seems so easy when you are a witness to a life for 40 minutes. But come take a walk in my shoes for just a day and I'm sure you'll be singing a different tune. Parenting is hard--have I made my point clear?
As Matt and I are settling in to our new world I've noticed a few things:
1. I'm way more laid back of a mom than I thought. As neurotic as I can be about my own life--I'm very chill about Zoey. My own mother even pointed out this fact and I'm proud to say it's true.
2. Getting dressed isn't nearly as fun as it used to be. First of all--I'm still struggling to find clothes that fit. This was something that I thought only came with pregnancy but now that my boobs are giant and on the verge of exploding at any second--you just can't wear anything you want. Also taking into consideration that every three hours I have to take my top off--outfit choices have taken on a whole new kind of strategy.
3. Eating dinner is a race to the finish. If we are both able to sit down at the same time without having to a) get up to hold Zoey OR b) put the paci back into her mouth it is a total miracle. Actually the real miracle is that if there is dinner at all...taking care of a baby all day and having dinner prepared?? I don't think so.
4. Any kind of 'good' sleep is the best gift on the face of the planet--screw diamonds. The past 2 nights Zoey has slept from 11-7 and it is the most wonderful, wonderful thing. At first I was nervous--why isn't she waking up to eat? What if my boobs leak all over the mattress?? But those tiny fears were quickly replaced with the total bliss of sleeping for more than a 3 hour clip at a time.
5. I have to 'stage' things to get out of the house on time. For instance--if I have a free minute at ANY time before I am slated to leave the house I will do things in increments: place the diaper bag by the door, get the stroller in the car, get my water bottle ready (it's amazing how thirsty nursing moms are), find my keys, put on my sunglasses, etc. I even get dressed in stages leaving my top last just in case I get breast milk on it. I keep saying that it isn't a matter of 'if' but 'when' I will answer the door with only a bra on as this is how you can find me most of the day. Also, the other day I was taking Matt lunch at work and made his sandwich at 8:30 in the morning just because I had a few seconds and was not sure if I would be able to later. 'Staging' is a new way of life.
6. Date nights are short and sweet. While my mom was here Matt and I got to go out on a date. I pumped right as we were leaving to allow myself at least three hours of play time. We left on bikes to hit happy hours up around our house and all the while I'm checking the clock to make sure we didn't exceed the time limit. I am the new age Cinderella and will turn into a pumpkin past about 3 1/2 hours. Nobody wants to be on a sexy date with their husband and have leaky boobies--NOT cute.
We are all getting used to the "new normal" in the Orebaugh house. It's a busier, messier, sleepier normal--but Zoey makes it worth it a million times over. And having a few hours alone with your hubby isn't too shabby either.



No comments:

Post a Comment