In my one week of parenthood, these are some things that I've found to be true:
1. You discover a love that you never knew existed. I can't even put into words the way that I feel about Zoey. She brightens my day, she makes me laugh, she makes me cry...she makes me everything. She takes my breath away at the tiniest little thing that she does whether its smiling as she sleeps or farting as I'm changing her diaper. Matt said it best the other night when he said, "Our life was stupid before Zoey." Not that I'm discounting my last wonderful 30 years--but after her it makes you wonder why anything else was ever important at all.
2. Your life takes on a whole new meaning. It is amazing how quickly your 'self' takes a back seat to your child. I no longer care about eating, getting dressed, sleeping (welllll...sort of), taking a shower, brushing my teeth, etc. I just made myself some much needed lunch (at 2:00) and practically patted myself on the back for remembering. I wasn't even really hungry...I just was taking advantage of a sleeping baby opportunity. Also on several occasions this week I have run my tongue along my teeth around dinner time only to realize that I am yet to brush my teeth that day. I have also not made the bed much this week--a new thing I'm trying out. Why put it back together if I'm just going to climb into it the minute she falls asleep? Having a baby definitely makes you think twice (or not at all) about the small stuff.
3. The word 'sleep' becomes a real hilarious word. To say that I'm 'sleeping' is kind of a bold statement. Let me put it this way...if I get more than an hour at one time--I consider this a huge success. The other day Zoey and I both slept for about 4 hours and I looked to the sky to see where this miracle appeared from. Sleep is definitely a hot commodity around here.
4. Every parent thinks their child is the greatest. There is nothing you can do to convince Matt or I that Zoey isn't the most absolute gorgeous baby on the face of the Earth. She is perfect in each and every way. It's not even up for debate. I now understand my parents at school who really and truly can't believe that their darling has a mean streak in them. My little Zoey EVER be bad???? I don't think so, people.
Here she is in all of her week old glory...sleeping peacefully (yes the pun was intended) with a little grin on her face. I wonder what she's dreaming of...probably about her cool mom and dad.
No comments:
Post a Comment