Soooo...as an avid runner you can imagine my restlessness and yearning for my old hobby after an 8 month sabbatical. I was itching to go...ready to hit the pavement. I was over being jealous of any runner that I saw and sick of my walking shoes. To prevent myself from going truly crazy I signed up for a 10K race at the end of October and ordered new running shoes--hoping to distract myself from the real deal until I got the "all clear" from my doctor on August 29th. Clearly I'm not very good at impulse control...
Yesterday I awaited my package with complete anticipation. I knew that my shoes were coming and was super pumped. I even ordered purple running shoes this time (a color I'd never had before)--in honor of Zoey and my return to running. When I heard the UPS man pull away I ran to the door to see the fabulous package...they were here! I opened them up and LITERALLY had them on my feet within ten minutes. I looked at Matt with wide eyes and he answered with a look that said--oh go on. I ran for a block or two and patted myself on the back with the result. (i.e. I didn't fall over dead) That's enough for now--I thought--don't want to get too crazy.
But this morning my purple sneaks were staring at me. I waited until Zoey was sleeping, left her with Matt and set out again on the road. I totally ignored a humongous black cloud and instead, like an idiot, went on my way. I intended only to walk (well sort of) but lo and behold...the cloud had other plans. I was about as far away from my house as possible when the onslaught of rain began...mild at first and then turning to a torrential downpour. I decided I had no choice but to make a break for it. So there I was--far away from home, in the rain, less than 4 weeks postpartum, in brand new running shoes, and with a less than desirable sports bra. And if you can imagine...I ran the whole way home with one arm strapped across my boobs so that they wouldn't fly away. Not exactly how I had pictured my return to the sport.
I can't decide if this was God's way of telling me to chill out and wait for the doctor's go ahead or Him giving me His blessing to forge on in my quest to get back to running. Either way--I came home soaked from head to toe--and had to hang my pretty purple running shoes up to dry. I guess you can't win them all.
No comments:
Post a Comment