Monday, May 2, 2011

The Daddy

As I was at Angie's baby shower yesterday it sort of dawned on me that the daddies really don't get a whole lot of love during the baby growing process. The women get pampered (we hope!), showered with gifts, go to parties in their honor and get to answer all of the questions. "When are you due?" "What are you having?" "How are you feeling?" "Has your husband been sweet to you?". These poor daddies deserve some credit! Let me tell you a little bit about the daddy in my life.
I saw Matt for the first time when I had only been living here about two weeks. It was my first day of work and I was very nervous/excited. I was walking down the hall with a fellow teacher when I noticed a redhead walking ahead of me with killer legs. I asked, "Who is that?". She told me he was the PE teacher and that was that. We were dating within weeks. I've always said that I'm a no nonsense shopper, never have buyers remorse and pretty much know what I like right away. This apparently also applies to my choice in mates as I've never one day regretted snatching Matt up right away. He might not have known what hit him at first...but he sure learned quickly.
Although all great love stories are long and winded ours was pretty simple. We dated for only 10 months before we got engaged, bought a house a month later, married 14 months after that, bought another house...and now after almost 5 years of marital bliss we are having our first baby. You would think it was written in the stars...but of course it couldn't have all been roses and balloons! We've endured our fair share of fights, the loss of our best friend Oliver and the struggle to get pregnant. All which have only made us stronger.
Now that I am finally carrying our little one Matt has been nothing but the finest of daddies. He takes care of me, watches me closely,makes me laugh when I'm feeling like a pregnant weirdo, constructed the entire nursery and tells me how pretty I look on the daily. Even though it's not until June I can't wait to honor him on Father's Day...as he has proved to be one of the best.
Booboo and I are two very lucky people...



2 comments:

  1. That is a very sweet Father's Day tribute and Matt is very deserving of the honor. I do hope that baby has red hair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love my big brother!

    ReplyDelete