Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Baby Bird

Well we did it!  Actually Zoey did it...but it was definitely a group effort.
This Saturday Miss Z had her first taste of 'food'.  At her doctor's visit he told us that she should start with rice cereal...which I wasn't too pumped about but I wasn't going to argue with the expert.  I really had no idea what to expect from her--but she acted like she's been eating food for months.  It just took one trip to the lip for her to figure it out--and she was off and running.  She opened her mouth for more, kicked her feet in excitement and smiled when it was all over.  I couldn't believe my eyes!  She is an expert eater.
What made it even more special is that my parents were in town to witness it all.  We had two cameras, two phones and two video cameras on her the entire time.  Her first eating experience was well documented!  She looked so cute eating that we ALL talked about it the rest of the night.  I just can't get over how easy it was! 
She is definitely ready for more food...so this Sunday Grandma and I got busy.  We made zucchini, squash, green beans, sweet potatoes and carrots.  It felt so good making food for Zoey to eat.  It is super cost efficient and this way I know exactly what is going into her little body.  I can't wait for her to try everything!  
My dad kept saying that "she obviously has been ready for food for a while" but I don't regret waiting.  I have read numerous articles and books reinforcing the idea that breastfeed babies don't need anything else before 6 months.  Zoey is as healthy as they come.  She is in the 90% in height and 40% in weight...a perfect long and lean baby.  She sleeps well, is super happy and growing like a weed.  Why would I have pushed the food before this??  I am so glad that we waited, even though we got some side glances from people.  And yes, she IS ready for food.  That is why she did so well!  I am excited to try new veggies every week!
Here is just one of the million pictures of my baby bird and her first food experience!


2 comments:

  1. one trip to the lip....nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job for waiting it out Mama! :-) She will be a better eater because you did. :-) Just my non-expert opinion. :-) Although from experience, Sierra was 6.5 months and Chyler was 7.5 months (it's just easier to keep nursing with the 2nd one...LOL!) Anyway, great job Zoey and Mama & Daddy. You guys seem like totally awesome parents and Zoey is just so adorable and precious. :-) Check out wholesomebabyfood.com if you need some baby food making suggestions...that is a great resource. Also, try avocado if you can. That is the first food we give to our girls and it is so healthy for them! :-)

    ReplyDelete