Sunday, March 6, 2011

Jane is a Liar

When you open up the registry section on babiesrus.com you are met with a quote that reads: "Creating a registry is a breeze"--Jane.
I'm not quite sure who this Jane is but either she is a liar, a mom of 10 that already knows what babies need or a completely made up person by the company to make people feel at ease (most likely scenario). Speaking from experience, baby registering is not exactly a walk in the park. Especially if you have no idea what you are doing like Matt and I.
We ventured to the enormous and scary world of baby yesterday armed with only a list compiled by our good friend and new mommy, Annie. I figured if anyone could give me an idea of what you really need it was her. Although this list was extremely helpful it probably would have been easier if she just registered for us. Matt and I spent 3 hours yesterday wandering around a store like morons pretending we knew what we were doing. By the end of the tirade, we were very 'gun happy' and starting tagging pretty much anything that we thought we could use. Bib that says 'My Dad Rocks'? Sure!! Duck patterned onesie with duck feet?? Yes, of course!! Bouncey toy that makes soothing music??? Baby HAS to have one of those!! We practically had to run out of there before we got sucked into tagging clothes up until his/her 12th year of life.
Thankfully, in the beginning before we were delusional we started with the essentials...sheets, bassinet, high chair, stroller, car seat, etc. The list is seriously endless. We tried our best to read labels, pick things up, touch things here and there...but most of our decisions were based on pure ignorance. If it had a beach theme it was pretty much a shoe in...not exactly responsible parenting.
This morning I awoke at 6 thinking of our registry...and since I couldn't shake my thoughts I got on the computer to review it all. I took some things off, added more...did some research on the jogging strollers, monitors and car seats and am now feeling a little more like we did the right thing. Some things are still confusing--breast pump and accessories anyone? But overall I think our baby will survive it's idiotic parents try at what they will need in the early years.
A friend asked me if registering made it more real. The answer is yes...for sure. Parts were fun and I loved envisioning booboo lying in the pack and play and riding along in the baby Bjorn strapped to daddy's back. But most of it was just plain scary. Babies need a LOT of stuff and most of it is really expensive. Thank goodness for showers and people willing to buy you stuff. To add up the total of our list would be a very scary thing.
So if you think you know more than us (probably all of you) and you want to check out our registry feel free! Advice on this is quite welcome.
The important part is that we survived, unscathed and one step closer to parenthood.

1 comment:

  1. We were all in that boat at one point! I remember being completely overwhelmed and couldn't wait to get out of there at the end of 4 hours as well! The big ticket items are the most needed. All you need is a car seat to bring the baby home and diapers! Everything else will be purchased by friends and family(mostly grandparents if I could bet on it!) Just remember, you figure it out as you go! Everyday is something new and fun regardless of the fancy things baby has. You and Matt are going to be great parents no matter what.

    ReplyDelete