In my wonderful US Weekly this week there was a section on mommies that loved being pregnant (Angelina, JLo, Heidi) and those who were not a fan (Kendra and Gwen). I found myself reading it more than once and pondering which section I belonged in. I also was wondering if Ang and Jenny from the Block were big fat liars...twins??...no, thank you. Before I go into it I want to make one thing very clear: having a baby is something that I've dreamed about for years and certainly one of the greatest joys in my life...and there are no ill feelings here. I could not be prouder...
However, there is nothing that feels normal about growing a human inside of you and so far...it's taking this mommy some time to get used to it. For most women's lives, we fret about our bodies, our weight, working out, what we're eating, etc. Then all of a sudden we are supposed to magically switch our thinking over the last thousand years and be okay with our tummy pudging out and the scale creeping up??? I don't think so. Maybe some view it as a time to eat whatever they want and lay on the couch, but that just isn't my style. So as much as I hate to admit it to all of you (especially you judgers), I'm not taking it all as gracefully as one might hope.
For instance, what could possibly be settling about not fitting into your favorite jeans? I don't care what way you swing it...that just sucks. And what is fun about gaining 2 pounds in a week?? Nothing, I tell you. Seeing a number that hasn't been on your scale in some time is nothing but unnerving. Finally, please someone tell me what is soothing about your boobs growing to the size of melons in a month's time. This is just crazy stuff, people.
I know that women have been doing it for years, but this woman has only been doing it for 15 weeks and I'm looking for coping mechanisms. After a brief mental breakdown this morning following the scale debacle my husband tried to comfort me...but what does he know?? He looks the same as he did two month ago...better even...while I'm dealing with some severe changes. He suggested that maybe I stop weighing myself until this is all over, and I just might take that advice. Vain?? Maybe--but at least I'll be sane!
Matt said to me...do you think your mom cried when she was pregnant with you?? YES!!! Of course she did!! I was her first...and I hope that she was just as freaked out as me with my first.
I know that I'm putting thoughts out there that most knocked up people aren't supposed to say...but I just thought it was necessary to warn everyone. I will probably be chastised by mommies everywhere but if there is one thing that I have to say about being pregnant is that it is NOT NORMAL!!! So sue me...
As Sarah's mom I must say I did cry but not about my ever-enlarging stomach. Hormones are funny. I also wasn't as petite as my daughter, who is a full 5 inches shorter than I. More room for that baby!
ReplyDeleteI did hate when I couldn't use the rubber bands to fit into my own clothes. Maternity clothes were hideous, especially to work in. I agree with Matt, stop weighing yourself. Find a great pair of pants that will expand with you and wear the heck out of them. Enjoy the advantages of a pregnant woman!! And most of all relax and feel the love you have created.
My motto has ALWAYS been: pregnant women who say pregnancy is glamorous are completely lying!!! :) But, just as you mentioned, it isn't always the easiest thing to get in that state, so embracing it is totally the way to go. :) When you get to 40 weeks and you think you are going to look like that forever; just remember, it doesn't last forever. :) And most mothers I know wish they could get it back after the baby is born and crying all. night. long. LOL! :)
ReplyDelete