Monday, February 16, 2015

Attention!!!

I'm not sure if it's because I have a baby that I am currently nursing or what...but I feel like breastfeeding has received a lot of attention this year. 
It's in the news: Starting now!  In VA for the very first time you can breastfeed in public without getting arrested!!!  What a treat!!!
It's on my Twitter feed:  Celebrities baring all with their babe on boob while proudly proclaiming: I nurse and I'm cool!!!
It's on my IG feed:  Normal, proud mothers who also want to shout to the world that they are pro-breastfeeding.  Just like the celebs...and just as cool!!!
It's on my e-mail:  Just for you, hard-working new momma...it is your right to pump at work--so get a room, get a *break*, and pump away!!!
It's everywhere.
It seems as though people have become very passionate about their breastfeeding views.  Is it because they want others to know of the personal sacrifices they are making for their baby?  Is it because they want to make a small PSA and encourage others to make the same choice they have?  Are they just jumping on the breastfeeding bandwagon?  IS there such a bandwagon??  I have no idea.
I am hesitant to add to the mix...but I guess I will give my 2 cents--whether you care or not. 
For me, nursing my baby is a private and precious thing.  It's something that is important to me and something that I have had to fight for on more than one occasion.  It's a struggle, it's hard as hell and it's worth it.  I've been bitten, scratched and rejected.  I have laughed and cried about it.  I have spent countless hours obsessing about it.  I love it 99% of the time...the other 1% I want to quit.  But I know I won't.
I don't rant OR rave to anyone about that sweet bond that Reese and I have...or that Zoey and I once had.  It's my own cross and/or medal to bear...whichever way I'm feeling about it on that particular day.
All this talk and attention kind of makes me uncomfortable.  Supposedly, everyone wants to 'normalize' it.  Let's talk about it and post photos so it's more normal!!! 
 Really?
Of course I support breastfeeding.  Obviously I do.  And as a fellow mommy...I also support the individual choices that we all make for our own kids each day.  But wouldn't it all be a bit more normal if it was just something we kept closer to our hearts?  Literally and figuratively.


No comments:

Post a Comment