Saturday, December 31, 2011

Dear New Mommies...

If you are a new mom there are times that you probably feel hopeless...then again, maybe that is all the time.  Raising a newborn is hard and sometimes if feels like the weight of it all is entirely on your shoulders.  That coupled with trying to heal and get your body back can be more than the average woman can physically and emotionally take.  It seems like bombs are dropping everywhere.  I'm no expert, but 2011 was a total learning year for me.  Here are some things I picked up this year:
1.  The love you feel for your child is something that you cannot describe.  It is without a doubt the most awesome feeling in the world.  I knew from the minute that I saw her face my life was forever changed--man was I in for a treat.  I would hands down give my life for her and that is something that I have never felt before.  Unconditional love is amazing.
2.  Your house will never look the same.  I am a very neat, OCD freak--who is now okay with bottles drying on the counter from Monday thru Friday, toys in every corner and entertainment apparatuses in every room.  You just have to let it go.
3.  Your boobs WILL eventually return to semi-normal size.  I thought I was going to have to buy a whole new load of new shirts but after about 3 months everything seemed to magically regulate itself.  I no longer have gigantic boobs, I don't leak at random times of the day and I feel like breastfeeding is a total breeze.  (pumping--on the other hand--is something I never will get used to)
4.  Only YOU know what is best for you and your baby.  There are so many moms, grandmas, grandpas and every other person who seems to "know it all" and wants to give you advice.  I might know what is best for Zoey but I have no idea what is best for your kiddo.  Listen to advice politely, take what is useful and discard the rest.  People can be so freaking nosy.
5.  However, I would recommend reading a few books.  I found BabyWise, Happiest Baby on the Block, and The Baby Whisperer to be very helpful.  Like with advice from anybody, I read them all and took what I liked from each.  I don't think it's feasible to follow any one of them by heart...but I used what sounded good. Sometimes experts DO know best.  Reading those books made me feel like I could be in control of certain situations.  Knowledge is so powerful.
6.  Go with the flow.  You now have a new mayor in town--and it isn't you.  As Matt and I would (and still) say, Zoey is the boss of us.  It's not about you anymore and thank goodness.  I had 30 years of "me" time and I am glad to give it to Zoey now.  
7.  Mark their milestones and enjoy them!  I feel like I'm doing a good job of documenting things that Zoey is doing but it still isn't good enough.  You will forever look back on these times and think of how quickly it went.  I hate to be a wet blanket but seriously--it goes SO fast.  Savor every minute.
8.  You have so many things to worry about--your weight shouldn't be one of them.  Give yourself a well deserved break.  You pushed a human out of your body--I, for one, think that is worth at least 6 months or more of pampering.  Don't freak out about what the scale says or that swim suit season is around the corner.  You will eventually lose the weight and return back to your old wardrobe--but stressing about it won't help matters at all.  Give yourself a little love, momma!
9.  I can't say this last one enough--YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!!!!  (pass it on to the next new mom you see--she needs to hear it, too!)

I had a great run in 2011...here's to an even better 2012--filled with crawling, walking and eating--oh my!


No comments:

Post a Comment