Well it was bound to happen. I had read numerous accounts of mothers clipping their children's nails only to nip their finger...and I was sure that if I was careful enough it would never happen to me. However, if you read the many parenting websites it seems like every mommy has gone through this. Their kids cried, they cried harder, the blood came and then they felt like the worst parent on the Earth. Could this be my fate, too?
Why yes, it could.
Yesterday, on Christmas Eve of all days--I made the mistake that seemed inevitable. I clipped Zoey's precious little finger. I knew it the minute that I did it...and immediately panicked. I scooped her up and carried her around until the cries came...I cried first--then Zoey. Sure enough, there was blood...and a lot more of it than I anticipated. So I did what any other level headed mother would do...I put her on the bed, sat down, put my head between my knees and tried very hard not to pass out. This was not the makings of a Mother of the Year award video montage. I finally gathered myself together, threw off my sweatshirt (as I was now sweating uncontrollably) and yelled for Matt. Thankfully--the calm one of our mommy/daddy duo took over and was able to get her finger to stop bleeding and a makeshift bandaid on her digit. All while I looked on and sobbed. Note to self: I am not good under pressure when it comes to my daughter's pain.
I am told by my own mother that although I might never forget the day that I first made my sweetie bleed...she will never think of it again. In fact, about 10 minutes after the initial chop of the finger she was back to giggling again. I, on the other hand, was panic stricken and nautious for the rest of the day. Such is the life of a guilt ridden mommy.
So there is your Christmas story, everyone. Merry, merry.
Maybe Santa will bring Zoey a mommy who isn't a freak show for Christmas.
Love to all...
No comments:
Post a Comment