Sunday, March 18, 2012

Two Sad Gals

Being a parent is so completely wonderful that there are bound to be a few pitfalls.  I have been so busy relishing in all of the joys that mommyhood brings I was totally blindsided when I was hit with a curveball:  Zoey's first real sickness.
It started on Friday night.  Even though the temperature outside was warmer than usual, I couldn't shake the feeling that Zoey was warmer than usual, too.  She napped fine, ate fine and played normally but each time she touched me I felt that her tiny hands were on fire.  I very wearily took her temperature only to find that she had a fever of 102.  Tears immediately sprang out of my eyes as I ran through all of the things I was supposed to do.  First I called Maggie to re-go over her day...then I called my friend Megan whose little one is a frequent flyer with fevers...and then I called our doctor.  (logical order, right!?!)  I was reluctant to give her meds because I, myself, don't like taking them but in the end, gave her some Tylenol to ease her pain.  She had a semi-normal night of sleep and I was hopeful that the morning would be fever free.  Unfortunately, that wasn't the case and her temperature was still 102.1.  I made an appointment with our doctor (who thankfully has Saturday hours) and they confirmed that she had the start of an ear infection and a virus to boot.  She cried the whole time at the doctor's office which was a first...it was the saddest thing on the planet.  
Since then we've been pumping her full of amoxicillin and Tylenol.  She is yet to be 100%.  
It's time like these when you realize two things...
1.  You would literally do anything for your child.  I kept telling Zoey that I would do whatever she wanted me to in order to make her feel better.  Jump in the ocean?  Sure.  Fall down and scrape my knee?  Absolutely.  Take her place?  In a heart beat.  Never put her down?  Coming right up.  It is such a helpless feeling when your kiddo doesn't feel good.  Although I know I'm doing all I can to help her feel better...it never seems like enough.  To know that she is hurting is seriously heartbreaking.
2.  If it were anything worse than just a flu-like-bug I would be a total disaster.  Matt and I both know couples whose children have had to have brain surgery or heart surgery.   I literally cannot even imagine dealing with that.  I would have to be sedated...no questions asked.  I could hardly handle it when I cut her pointer finger for goodness sake.  Anything more than a fever and a runny nose and I might as well throw in the towel.  I seriously need to work on getting myself together in moments of near crisis or else I'm going to be in a world of hurt.  I figure if I can carry and make a child for 10 months, deliver her from my own body and make food for her...surely I can be a source of relief in times of trouble.  I am yet to achieve this feat...
I'm hoping that today brings a healthier Zoey back to me...although I'm enjoying all of the cuddles that I'm getting I miss my happy little baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment