As Zoey gets older, the more questions I have about her meals.
How much should she be eating? When? What? How?
Although I appreciate my pediatrician's faith in my parenting skills, it irritates me when my questions are met with "You are doing great! Whatever you think! Zoey will let you know!". Well thanks Dr. M but I am more of a 'need to know' kind of gal and I'm looking for something specific.
I would love to have a sample eating schedule that tells you when you can start two meals a day and when to start three. I would love to know at what exact times I should be feeding my child these meals. Right after she nurses? In between her nursing schedule? (and if that is the case we are literally going to be eating all day...) I've looked on-line for these so-called feeding schedules but everything is just so vague.
Instead I'm using my strong motherly instincts and just giving it a go on my own. Zoey is still just eating dinner...two ice cubes of veggies (however much that is) and 3 tablespoons of rice cereal. Sounds good to me. I suppose.
Zoey gobbles up everything which leaves me wondering if she wants more...OR did I feed her just the right amount and she's completely satistified with what she ate?? The questions are endless!!
This Sunday I plan on making the move to two meals a day. Rice cereal and a veggie in the afternoon (right after she nurses because I can't strap myself to the high chair all day long...) and then the same at dinner except we are going to add a fruit.
This all seems like a good plan. RIGHT!?!?!?!
Any mommies out there have any advice?
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI am baby-less but I love to waste time googling. I found the website below and it seems to be a little more specific. I hope this helps!
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babymenu.htm
XOXO Mary
The Wholesome Babyfood blog is one of my favorites! You should be able to find sample feeding ideas/schedules/portions on there. Another really great resource that I have used is a book called "Super Baby Food". She gives great recommendations for what a baby should be eating at each age and also many recipes, ideas, tips, tricks, etc. I have lent it to many friends and family members and all have really loved that resource.
ReplyDeleteI generally start my girls on 1 meal a day, but (as you know) I am very pro-breastfeeding and like to keep that as their main source of nutrition for as long as possible. That is just me though. But generally my girls eat 1 meal a day (typically dinner time with us) with water and puffs here and there for a few months, probably till about 9 months old, then I gradually introduce lunch as well, and by about 1 year old they are eating 3 meals a day. Nursing in the morning when they first wake up is the last feeding my girls drop when they are weaning (Sierra at 16 months and Chyler at 15 months) so breakfast was always hit or miss because they were still nursing.
I know it can be frustrating to hear your doctor not give precise answers. You are like me, just tell it to me straight! But he is right, Zoey will lead and in my opinion as long as she is still nursing, that is really the best thing you can do for her, the rest is just supplemental. In fact, I have a lot of friends who just nurse for the first year - no solids. Zoey looks like a perfect angel! You are doing a fabulous job!!!
On a side note, I bet you are so excited that it is Spring and that means the end of the school year is right around the corner!!! Yay!!!!!
PS - As if my other two cents was not enough - LOL! Always nurse FIRST!!!! :) Also, have you tried avocado yet? My girls generally eat that first. They say it is brain food. Most kids don't like it at first, but if you keep trying, they end up loving it. It is great on a spoon and then so wonderful as a finger food (so you don't have to be strapped to the high chair). :) I was once told that breast milk is best and the other foods are just used to help them learn to eat, etc. Most of their nutrition in the first year comes from the breast milk. :) Also, you don't have to give rice you know? There is not much nutrition in rice at all and it is basically just a filler food. We only do rice the first couple days, just to make sure the girls know how to swallow the solid food, then it is out the window and in with the good stuff! :) Once she gets more teeth too, you can give small pieces of soft cheese, small pieces of bananas, etc. I try to get to the "finger foods" as fast as I can because with other children in the house, as you said, I can't be strapped to the high chair...too many others that need my attention and want to eat as well. :) I would really recommend that Super Baby food book, maybe the local library has it. :)
ReplyDeleteHi Karen! Thanks for all of the advice! I will definitely look for that book. I didn't want to give her rice cereal at all...but my doctor told me that I should because of the iron. I have reluctantly followed his instruction...and Zoey seems to love the cereal anyway. I was going to start her with two meals this weekend but now that she's sick I'm going to wait. You've definitely made me feel better in remembering that there is no real rush to push more meals onto her. You are right...the breastfeeding is the most important piece right now (for me and for her!) so I will keep that at the forefront and everything else is just a bonus. Thanks for all of your kind words...I hope you and the girls are doing great! :)
Delete