Motherhood is filled with a million maybes.
It dawned on me last night circa 11:54 while I was rocking with Reese. She woke up screaming, which is not the norm, so I rocked her until she was calm. While we were cuddling several thoughts passed through my mind to try to figure out what was wrong: Maybe she's hungry. Maybe she's teething. Maybe she pooped and I can't smell it. Maybe she's allergic to the plums I made her for dinner.
And then I realized...motherhood is full of maybes. I am constantly asking questions. Constantly wondering if what I think I know I actually don't know at all.
I question the baby: Maybe she's going through a growth spurt. Maybe she is too full. Maybe she's gassy. Maybe I fed her yogurt too soon. Maybe she doesn't like my perfume. Maybe she didn't sleep long enough. Maybe she's coming down with a cold. Maybe she's ready to go to 2 naps. Maybe it's the full moon.
I question my toddler: Maybe she is going through a growth spurt (when in doubt, blame it on a growth spurt). Maybe she doesn't need a nap anymore. Maybe she needs to poop. Maybe she needs to be able to count to 100 instead of just 20. Maybe she won't like preschool...maybe I won't like preschool. Maybe I should keep her at her babysitters. Maybe she's coming down with a cold. Maybe she needs to play outside more. Maybe she should be riding a bike by now. Maybe she's a genius (of course she is, duh).
I question myself: Maybe I shouldn't have that 5th cookie. Maybe I should go to bed earlier. Maybe I should stay up later and hang out with Matt. Maybe I should eat better. Maybe I should drink more milk. Maybe I should paint those cabinets. Maybe I should take my vitamins every day. Maybe we should redo the bathrooms. Maybe I should get outside and go for a run more often. Maybe I should not worry so much.
Questioning your own self is exhausting enough...it's almost incomprehensible how you can be responsible for everyone else's questions, too. How am I supposed to be an expert on an 8 month old, a 3 1/2 year old AND a 33 year old all at the same time?!
Sometimes, like last night, I have to remind myself of a piece of advice that I gave a new mother recently. I told her to trust her instincts. I told her that mothers' instincts are strong and to listen to them. If you felt the calling of motherhood, you no doubt have these instincts. The instinct to wake in a panic at the slightest noise. The instinct of not needing a thermometer to know if your child has a fever. The instinct of protecting your child against all odds.
I have to remember to trust my instincts. I alone (well besides Matt) am the expert on my family. I know what's best. I know what they need.
I am the Mommy, squasher of the maybes.
Sometimes, like last night, I have to remind myself of a piece of advice that I gave a new mother recently. I told her to trust her instincts. I told her that mothers' instincts are strong and to listen to them. If you felt the calling of motherhood, you no doubt have these instincts. The instinct to wake in a panic at the slightest noise. The instinct of not needing a thermometer to know if your child has a fever. The instinct of protecting your child against all odds.
I have to remember to trust my instincts. I alone (well besides Matt) am the expert on my family. I know what's best. I know what they need.
I am the Mommy, squasher of the maybes.
No comments:
Post a Comment