Friday, May 1, 2015

Mind Your Busy-ness

Before I start this post I would like to say that I know that everyone is busy.  Everyone.  I am no busier than the next person...it is not a competition.  But MY own personal busy-ness has been giving my heart palpitations lately.  {not serious ones, but you get the idea}
April has been a crazy month.  We have had illnesses, house guests, several out-of-town nights and more things on our To-Do list than is possible to accomplish.  I've been feeling quite overwhelmed lately and if I were to be honest with myself I've been feeling this way for most of April, if not all.  Maybe by writing this post I will be leaving behind April (hello May!) and all of the stresses with it.  Here's hoping.
April started with the stomach flu and 3 nights out of town.  So right from the gate we were behind.  I had high hopes of attacking big and small tasks during my Spring Break but I could hardly move for most of it.  We also had our entire kitchen painted during break...cabinets and all.  It looks AMAZING...but it was difficult to have a mess and a painter man in our house for a week.  More things left undone (except the painting, obvs).
After that, the guests and out-of-town visits began.  This is our life in the spring and summer and I absolutely love it.  Matt and I practically hold our girls hostage in our house so it forces our family to come to us.  And it works!  I love hosting and love having family here...I wish they would be here permanently.  But having guests can be hard especially when it's one right after another.  More things undone...and more to do!
Currently we are in the midst of planning Reese's birthday party (what!?!?...more on that later).  Thankfully we went with the extremely wise decision of having a family party...but that still means 15 or so people, house guests and a party to throw.  I am so excited about her birthday but anxious about the task ahead.  We are also having her Dedication that day {a less extensive baptism (since I was raised Catholic I'm still getting used to the idea even though we had one for Zoey, too!)}.  More to plan, more to do!  And lots of time wishing for perfect weather.  Don't worry...the pastor assures me he can make it happen.  Wink.
And let's not forget that I have a real-life job!  It is crunch time in schools.  We have our state testing in a month and soooo much to do in the meantime.  It's stressful for both the kids and I and each day is filled with talk of the test and trying to prepare.  It is exhausting and worrisome.  We also have all of our end-of-the-year tasks to do.  While I love that the end of the year is near...this is definitely no time to start letting things slip.  The pressure is on!  We are buckling down hard in Mrs. O's class.
SO much undone...SO much to do!
I hope that this doesn't come off as complaining.  This is my life and I love it and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I can handle busy.  I always do.
But this week it feels like life is coming down all around me.  I have this rising feeling in my chest of all of the things that are ahead of me.  In fact, instead of working out in the morning I have still been getting up at 5 just to get some things off my list.  It feels good to get things done but I have been a total slacker in the exercise department.
Okay so now that I've put it all out there...I hope it will start to work it's way out of my system.  My To-Do list isn't going anywhere...but I am whittling away at it piece by piece.  Perseverance is key!
April was a whirlwind...but I am looking forward to a little bit more peaceful May. 
Serenity now...ooohhhhmmmm...Namaste...and all that jazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment