Thursday, August 13, 2015

VaBeach

11 years ago...right around this time in August...I made a decision that would change my life forever.  I decided to pack up everything that I had, say goodbye to every person that I knew...and move.  To this day it was the single best thing that I have ever done for myself.  Ever.
I have always loved Virginia Beach even when I didn't live here.  We would stop here on the way to the Outer Banks and stay a night with my aunt and uncle.  My cousins and I would ride bikes around their neighborhood and I remember thinking:  I love the way it smells here.  It smells of salt water, sunshine and pine trees.
I was 23, living in Cincinnati, working a job that I didn't like...and living a life that I didn't like.  It seemed like nothing I was doing was anything that I could feel proud of.  I needed a change.  I needed to get out. 
My uncle persuaded me to try and find a teaching job in Virginia Beach.  I sent out applications in a frenzy and got call backs immediately.  I was hired on the spot during my 2nd interview and never looked back.  I think I started packing that second.
A few weeks later, on the first day at my new school...I spotted a cute redhead (from behind, mind you).  I told a fellow teacher that he was going to be my boyfriend and the rest, as they say, is history.
After 1 year of dating, 1 year of engagement, 9 years of marriage and 2 beautiful girls later...I find myself in the middle of the best summer of my life.  I was thinking about it today and realized that Virginia Beach, this place that I call home, is the reason for it all.  This city has literally changed the course of my life.
This morning I packed the girls in the car and set off on my favorite drive and 15 minutes later we were at the beach.  We spent the afternoon playing in the waves, building sandcastles and chasing sea gulls.   In the midst of it all I took a deep breath and felt like the luckiest person in the world.
 I am beyond blessed to be short trip from the coast.  I am grateful to wake up in a city that I can fall in love with over and over again.  I am excited to raise my girls here.  I am privileged to work in such a great school system.  I am honored to call the beach my home.
And I still love the way it smells.


Today at the beach!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment